Hucknall Town

Central Midlands League – South Division
Hucknall Town 2
South Normanton Athletic 2
Gate £3
Atten 80ish










Ground & Match Enjoyment - 8/10

My intended fixture at Guiseley had been called off much to my frustration as I have been looking forward to a trip to Nethermoor for some time. A quick check on the iphone told me that Hucknall Town's game was on and minutes later I had re-routed for Nottinghamshire.
Hucknall Town FC was established as a colliery side in 1943 and rose up through the football period. From 1999 to 2004 Hucknall Town F.C. played in the Northern Premier League Premier Division, and actually won the championship in the 2003-4 season. However the ground did not meet the then standards of the Football Conference they were refused promotion. That decision has proved to be a tipping point for the Club, albiet in a negative sense as they nose dived down the leagues. It would have been easier for the club to just fold but the loyal band of followers were determined that should not happen and in recent times have regrouped and are now only looking in an upwards direction. I really admire theircollective effort, thus deserving any success that will come their way.



As I walked around the ground today , I was able to see subtle reminders of the once reached dizzy heights of yesteryear. Despite being in need of a lick of paint in parts ,  it is quite clear that this ground is too good for the league they find themselves in today. On entering the ground and main building I was welcomed by a strong aroma of well cooked burgers to my left , where as to my right was the whiff of freshly applied  paint .

The Old Changing Rooms

The game itself was the best I have witnessed in this league this season. The first half was a very even affair with chances for both teams. But the second half was very watchable with four goals shared. I had in fact missed the opening goal as I had not finnished my generous portion of chips for my half time snack. As I came out one of the Staff asked if I was enjoying my visit. “yes” I replied but shame it's goaless “ She laughed and said it was 1-0 as a goal had been scored literally seconds before I came outside from my half time snack. I must admit that it is not the first time I had missed a goal. My personal best is 4 goals in any one game during my memorable visit to New Mills in 2010.


Hucknall fought back and took as deserved  lead as they started to get on top with a super goal and as time was running out the visitors hit back for what some would say a well deserved draw.
I really enoyed my visit to Watnall Road , great facilities, a warm welcome by friendly and loyal volunteers and very decent football on the pitch …... what's not to like ?


No comments:

Post a Comment